Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

A star is born

Okay, so nothing was born, per se. However, my idea has finally come to reality... finally. As in, I have had some of the materials for MONTHS. I am sure others can relate. Please, tell me you can relate! :)

So the idea really started probably a year ago. I had been looking for art to go in our master bathroom above our tub. I've tried to use a very subtle shell/beach theme. I am not one to be overly theme-y, so I've been cautious with every addition. I found some gorgeous framed shells from a website. I thought a series of three or four would look terrific. Also terrific would be keeping the $400 that those four pieces would cost. So I hemmed and hawed for months trying to decide if I should splurge or if I could find something else.

Then it hit me. I was going to do it myself. I was inspired by an episode of Deserving Design. (I think that's what that show was called. It was hosted by Vern Yip.) Anyway, he inspired me with a starfish canvas piece he made. I decided I would get a shadow box and fill it with starfish. Easy peasy. Kinda.

I went to the craft store to buy the starfish. Do you know what they cost at a store like Michaels???? $4 each. No thanks. But I did find the shadow box there. It was black and that was totally not what I was looking for, but the size was good. So I went with it. Then I found a vendor on ebay that sells the starfish for a MUCH better price. I think it was something like $25 for 50 starfish or something great like that.

I painted the shadow box the same color as our trim. It's color matched to Restoration Hardware's Right White. The back of the shadow box was a black fabric. I bought some inexpensive cotton fabric for a couple bucks. Unfortunately, you could see the black fabric through it, so I had to line it with some cotton duck fabric I had laying around. That did the trick. Stapled the fabric into place. Filled the shadow box with starfish and it was done.



After over a year and a half in our home, I finally have something on the wall of my bathroom. Feels good.

While I am here, I don't want to forget to let you know about an awesome giveaway being hosted by Centsational Girl. Great blog. Great giveaway. You can check it out here.

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear how you've incorporated themes into your home successfully. I'd love new ideas!

Linking up to:
DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land
Metamorphisis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Get your craft on at Today's Creative Blog

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant!!! Great job! I love the satisfaction of finally seeing something come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea! Good for you for coming up with something so great on a budget.

    I know the episode of Deserving Design you're talking about. I loved that starfish canvas Vern did. (I think I like your shadowbox idea better).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I was wondering how your parents bathroom turned out and what was their reaction?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that!!! What a great, creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea. Thanks for the ebay tip. I about freaked when I saw the prices at Michael's and PB for star fish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my I am in love with this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this. I have an empty shadow box calling my name right now! What a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete